Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Progressive Recession Depression

FROM DENIAL TO DEMISE... WHAT IS REALLY HAPPENING?

I don't know if anyone has noticed this or not. But remember 2 years ago at this time when the word "recession" could not be spoken by the press or politicians? After the first wave of mortgage failures in February of 2007 hit, I knew we were in a recession. My businesses took a hit that same month. It was obvious. But it took until early 2007 for reporters and politicians to start saying "the R word" in place of "recession" when they had to make reference to the possibility. By that summer, we heard "the R word" used more and more, but reporters would constantly state that there was no definitive proof that we were going to have an "R word", or even if we were in the midst of one.

Fast forward to early winter 2008, and the reporters and politicians started using the full word instead of "the R word". They said that a recession was possible, but it was too early to tell and there wasn't definite evidence to be able to make that statement.

During that same time, other financial analysts were saying that a recession was definitely going to happen. The most negative prognosticators were saying that we were in the beginning stages of a worldwide meltdown, to the level of a second great depression.

Anyone caught using the "D" word was laughed at, and called crazy. "A depression is impossible in modern times because we now have the FDIC, which insures that banks will not fail" was the common answer.

But as time went on, we started to hear politicians and reporters talk about the recession more and more, and by summer of 2008, they finally admitted that we were in fact in the midst of a recession. Even with the major bank failures and government bailouts (which would eventually number in the trillions), any talk of a depression was met with laughter and chuckles.

I'm not one to be negative, but I am not convinced that the government can "print" their way around a depression. I think the situation we are in is beyond a simple recession, and several countries around the world blame the U.S. for what we now face. I believe that each time we authorize a few hundred billion dollars of "fiat" money to "shore up" the banking disaster only exacerbates the issue. In other words, the more money we print, the deeper the impending financial meltdown will be.

Today was a day of days that I thought I would never see. Watching the evening news while visiting with my parents, President George W. Bush said with his very own lips that we could be in danger of a worldwide depression, possibly even worse than the Great Depression of the 1930's. I thought I was hallucinating. I asked my Father if I had just heard what I thought I had heard. He said, "yes, I believe that's what he said". We talked about how much the general public has been in denial about this, and how long we've been saying that it could come to this.

As negative as this seems, I can only grin and think "I told you so". It doesn't matter how bad this gets, though, or how deep the recession or "D word" gets, because our faith is not in man's system. Our faith is in the Lord our God, and we are instructed to fear not.

I think this is a time that we all need to pray for not just our country, but the welfare of mankind throughout the world, and take every chance we can get to spread the Gospel of Christ and help as many people we can to be saved.

No comments: